Tuesday, November 3, 2009

My Oven Lives Again!

Yesterday was Dia de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, and my oven, which I now refer to as Lazarus, was resurrected. Thanks to my friend Melissa, I learned about an appliance parts store in Haltom City that carries old appliance parts, and we were able to do a heating element transplant. Melissa’s oven was built into her home in 1974 and she has the same problem I do with obsolete [appliance] dimensions—it’s either keep looking for replacement parts or remodel the kitchen. Thank you, Melissa!

There were several emails and a couple comments on the blog about replacement parts: wouldn’t it be nice if we could just plug in a replacement body part? Of course, we do have organ transplants and some body parts transplants, but it’s not yet quite as simple as dashing over to the next town with a model number and a credit card and getting things working right again in a few minutes.

This has been a good lesson for me, though. My oven, Lazarus, is like an old friend that I was about to throw out because it was starting to look a little dated. As a society, we’re so quick to throw out the old and replace it with shiny, streamlined, new things and people. It’s up to us to take care of ourselves and each other—and to recognize our value to society on the whole, and each other in particular. And as Melissa did, share those “been there, done that’s.” We’ve got to look out for one another!

Donna

4 comments:

  1. May the old oven live on forever, Donna! How clever! Replace a heating-element was all? Loved it! Gerda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you will start a "new" trend and there will be many places that will carry "old" parts that we can find easily!

    I am thankful that your oven will be "spared"!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, so glad you were able to "save" Lazarus!! Although, I would have been glad to come to TX to re-do your kitchen!!! How is it possible your brain is sharp enough to write after this weekend of no sleep?? I'm very impressed!! Love you, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still don't talk about how Jim fixed the oven in front of the dishwasher! You just don't know who or what is listening.
    Be ware!
    sandy

    ReplyDelete