Sunday, October 18, 2009

My Oven Has Passed

My oven has passed; may it rust in peace. Last week I was looking at the poor old thing and thinking, “That oven is really looking dated.” Then, last Friday we turned it on to heat a loaf of sourdough bread and the heating element looked like a Fourth of July sparkler just before it completely fizzles out and dies. Thank goodness for the BBQ grill and the twenty-five year old microwave oven.

For the past two Thanksgiving’s, Jim has fried our turkey out on the deck—partly because we love fried turkey—but also because I really expected the oven to go at any time. I preferred the chore of unpacking and cleaning the fry pot and utensils, (not to mention the mess of cleaning up afterward), to dealing with a defunct oven half-way through the preparation of Thanksgiving dinner.

After checking Home Depot, Lowe’s, and Best Buy for new wall ovens, I’ve determined my oven dimensions are obsolete. Wall ovens the size of mine aren’t even made anymore. That wouldn’t be so bad except for the fact that the oven was built into a cabinet that’s attached to my computer desk and book shelf on one side and a pantry on the other. If I’m to have a new oven, I’ll need help from the professionals.

Fortunately, we have two kitchen showrooms in town and I checked out the Factory Builder Stores showroom first. When I explained to the product rep my oven had died, she asked: “how old was it?” I told her it was around twenty years old, and her response was: “Lady, it didn’t die. You killed it! They’re not made to work that long!”

Funny, but a fellow flight attendant said the same thing about us. This week I have to get busy and find a new oven. Maybe I can squeeze that in between car repairs, roof repairs, and the dentist. It seems some of my dental work wasn’t made to work this long either. Why is it everything seems to wear out at once?

Donna

5 comments:

  1. Do Not say Anything about the oven in front of the dishwasher, washing machine or the dryer or BUYER BEWARE! That's how it starts :(
    Welcome to the older home replacement series, what goes next?
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Sandy. I too have limits on size. Last year when I had to replace my clothes washer with one of the same size, the old one had to be beaten in all over just to get up the stairs. I don't understand that at all. It would be nice though, if we could replace "our" parts as we got older!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even think the words, "what's next?" around this house. I'll be extra careful not to talk about the oven around the refrigerator - don't want it to get any ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your oven went out and all of a sudden my washer is making funny noises. I know the problem came from the Hodgson house-hold. This desease is spreading...what next!? I am taking up a collection. Help! Ger

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with Barb: Replacing our old parts would be terrific. I always felt that way. We take our cars to have all the dents and scratches removed, why not ourselves? And about that appliance dilemma: I WANT a new dishwasher, but mine just keeps on tickin'.For heavens's sake, no hints how to stop it?Talking? I'll try anything! Gerda

    ReplyDelete