Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Perfect Breakfast

When my kids were little - Marcy, eight, and Mike, five - they decided they would make me breakfast in bed for Mother's Day. They were used to me cooking all the time and they decided they would cook for me.

They gave their dad the job of making sure I stayed in bed while I waited for "their surprise." As I lay in bed I heard lots of noise from the kitchen; it didn't take much to figure out that my surprise was going to be breakfast in bed. I lay there contemplating what culinary feast my children could possibly be preparing.

I was sure their dad was lending a hand, to make sure the kids were having no trouble. To his credit, he did not lend them a hand at all. He watched them work, and helped them carry the tray to the bedroom, but that was the end of his involvement.

As the tray was set down - imagine my delight as I looked at the soggiest bowl of cereal you have ever seen. There wasn't a crisp piece to be found. You see, in their minds, that was the first thing they needed to do: put the cereal in the bowl, pour the milk on it, and then proceed to prepare the toast. Now the toast was a sight to behold, ice cold, and the butter congealed and not melted. But, of course you couldn't butter the toast as soon as it came out of the toaster; it was too hot for their young hands. You had to wait until it cooled off, then you spread it with butter.

The feast was like none I had ever eaten. But nothing can ever match listening to the two of them, whispering, plotting, and laughing as they prepared their surprise. And their delight and pride they had when they presented me with their surprise Mother's Day breakfast. Conclusion - there couldn't have been a more perfect breakfast.

Pam

Thanks to Lake Park 66er, Pam Vieau, for this lovely Mother's Day Story. It was Marcy's wedding I had so much fun at in Chicago with the LP66er's. Mike is an actor who often plays bad guys in TV and film. He was in the last Batman movie, The Dark Knight, and is in the upcoming Public Enemies with Johnny Depp. More about Pam and Marcy with the next post.

Donna

2 comments:

  1. I love your writing so very much and you are getting much better. I am very proud of you. Very soon you will be writing the book that you have always wanted to write. My blessing to you. Pamela

    ReplyDelete