Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Jean

Funny thing, Donna, I remember that same Mom. Where in the world does one begin when describing my mom? Known to her friends as Jean, (short for Imogene), my mother was a very unique lady in many ways. One thing was for sure: you did not mess with Imogene and I mean that with the utmost sincerity. I didn't have a lot of warm, cuddly moments with my mom; that’s just how things were way back then. Now don't get me wrong. Mom did a lot for us four kids, you know—roof over our heads and food in our bellies, if you get my drift.

Well, enough of the introduction to my mom. As you can imagine, the warm moments I do have with her will be forever cherished. One such memory was around 1960. It was right about Mother’s Day on one of those beautiful spring Portage Lake, Michigan days. I was heading out in the row boat over to Mud Bay to do some fishing; Mom was sunning on the dock and asked if she could go along. I said, "Sure, Mom." Mom climbed in the back of the boat and off we rowed.

I was looking forward to showing off my fishing skills and making sure my mom knew that all my past fishing trips had not been wasted. Well, guess what? Not one darn fish—not even a minnow. On the trip back Mom assured me that the trip had not been a waste and that she had enjoyed the little excursion. As you can imagine my pride had been severely tested.

We were close to home and Mom, always the observant one, had noticed some weeds in about 12 foot of water, and she suggested that I wet a line and try my luck. I reluctantly baited my hook with a crawdad and got down to business, cause as we all knew when Mom suggested something, well. . .by now you get the point. Can you imagine my delight when I quickly caught two smallmouth (keepers) bass? She never brought that fishing trip up again; it remained a private moment between Mom and me, and I thought this would be a nice time in my life to share it with all of you. For all you avid bass fishermen, that spot became one of the Klave boys’ favorites; and to get to it you row straight out from the Bartlett’s yellow house. If you want more detail you'll have to ask Donna.

By the way Mom, point well taken and I didn't give up.

Happy Mothers Day, Mom!
Lv. John

Note: I found this damaged old promotional photo in a cardboard box with other old pics and memoirs. Mom was a "chanteuse" and sang with my dad's dance band. She was quite glamorous in her day. Thanks to my brother, John, for sharing this personal memory about a very talented, complex, and truly original woman: Our Mom.

Donna

2 comments:

  1. Jean looks just like Donna in this great picture, John. Our mom's are always special and happy mother's day to all the moms out there, the sisters, the friends too who are moms to us and those of us who have no children, to the friends we may be a mom too sometimes. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry Donna and John...I made a comment on the scouting blog. Your blog about Jean is heart warming..it made me cry. just lost my Mother and am a loss to tell the great stories. There are so many. Mother was one a kind! You had to love her even when you were getting punished for something you didn't do. Just ask my brothers and sisters. I miss my talks with her! Gerry

    ReplyDelete