Sunday, June 19, 2011

Dad

William Grant Klave in 1946
It’s hard to know what to say or where to begin to write about my dad. He was not my birth father, but he was the only father I ever had. He married my mother when I was five years old—I was at the wedding. It was a beautiful Michigan fall day; I helped Mom and Dad collect red and gold leaves to decorate the windows of the little country church where they were married. Following the ceremony, we lived in a tiny, gray cottage across the street from my new Grandma and Grandpa’s cottage on Portage Lake.

Soon after the wedding, my new Grandma and Grandpa sold that cottage to Mom and my new Dad, and we moved into the home where I lived for the next 15 years. It was a good life—swimming, fishing and boating in summers, and skating and sledding in winters. Dad built a barbecue pit and a picnic table, and we had glorious backyard cookouts in the summer. He’d water the back yard at dusk to make the night crawlers come up so John and I could catch them and then sell them to the fishermen for a little spending money. In the winter Dad cleared the snow from the lake ice and flooded it so we could have a perfectly smooth ice skating rink. Ah yes, we thought it was a good life.

I’m not sure when I realized that all was not The Donna Reed Show or Ozzie and Harriet at our house. Dad left a steady job to start his own small business, worked nights in piano bars and dinner clubs, produced two new babies, and had no family medical insurance. All these would contribute to stress in any marriage. But it was alcoholism that brought down my parents—our family.

“You Ain’t Much Fun Since I Quit Drinkin’.” Toby Keith

Following a drunk-driving arrest, a judge gave him the option of an alcohol recovery program over jail, and Dad began the long process of putting his life back together. He joined Alcoholics Anonymous, and for the rest of his life, he spent holidays and Sundays visiting and counseling other addicts in rehab centers and at AA meetings. My father was bitter that my mother couldn’t get and stay sober. Their last years together before Mom’s death were not pleasant ones. In fact, I would call their lives “hell on earth.” My cousin Charlotte called it “living in the trenches.”

Dad was sober for the last twenty years of his life, but died before he could receive his twenty-year AA sobriety challenge coin. My brothers and I asked the pastor at Dad’s memorial service to use the Serenity Prayer as a foundation for his sermon, and we led the service in the manner of an AA meeting. I began with, “My name is Donna Klave Hodgson, and I’m Bill’s daughter.” Everyone in turn introduced themselves and told the group how they knew Dad. We sat in silence while we listened to a recording of Dad playing some ragtime on the piano, realizing we’d never have him sit down and play for us again.

Dad, I hope you knew how proud we are of your success in your war on alcoholism. I hope we honored you fittingly given the magnitude of your battle. And I pray that you knew—that I made you know—how grateful I am that you chose to be my father.

Love,
Your daughter Donna

8 comments:

  1. How bitter sweet. We were both lucky to be adopted by great men. Love to both of them.
    TB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dad would have been so proud of you Donna. Our lives are always evolving. The last year or so of my dad's life was not very pleasant for me. I didn't like him very much and felt badly about it. Of course, he deserved some of this feeling by me. But, on my birthday this year, I came across 2 letters he had written Jonnie & I when we first got married telling us how much he loved us. I also found a picture of my parents when I was about 6, holding hands and very much in love. My mother died 6 years later, she and Dad were 42, and I realized looking at that picture, my father had lost the love of his life, and things were never the same again. I'm so glad to have been able to reflect on my feelings and to look at my dad differently now. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you TB and thank you Barbara. I'm reminded today of how important it is to tell people we love them whenever we have the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Sis, your story shakes some of the cobwebs loose. In following family tradition I to popped the cork on the bottle. I never liked it, I saw the devastation first hand just as you saw how it hurt our family and friends. I fought my father my whole life and one time quite literally. The alcohol problems go so far back in our family that for years I thought it was normal and our family was no different than others. Now, I'm becoming the,"old man" and I have a wonderful family, no alcoholics in my family, save one. As much as the old man, (dad) rubbed me the wrong way, I thank him for taking you and me into his life not just as a step dad but as our father. This fathers day if I had one wish it would be to have 5 minutes with my dad to hold his hand and look into his eyes and tell him dad, I love you and thank you for being my father.
    Your Loving son John

    ReplyDelete
  5. This morning I called some very special fathers, unfortunately my father was not one. The years since he passed has flown by but I still think of the fun times we had. We all wish the bad times would fade...I wish I could sit down and talk to him about old times and what he meant to me. One thing 've learned is to tell loved ones how much I love them and thank them for being in my life. Thank you Gaby for being in my life. GHF

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Donna, enjoyed your thoughts about your Dad. On June 7, 2011 my Dad would have been 100. Bruce's Dad was born Nov 13, 2011. Daddy died at age 65. Bruce's Dad death was the month before he was 97...he was my Dad longer than my own father. What great blessings they were in my life...both lived with difficult wifes. Both worked hard to support their families to the best of their ability. They both gave credit to God (Daddy referred to God as the 'man upstairs') When Bruce's Dad prayed and called upon Jesus, the sound of Jesus was so sweet and reverant that you knew he was an intimate friend. My eyes would fill with tears are they are now. Love, Your Cousin Janet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet,
    Thank you for a wonderful tribute to your dad and your father-in-law. I remember your Dad like it was yesterday. I can still his smile and hear his voice in my mind.
    Love,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete